Saturday, July 5, 2008

Healthy livin.... the way forward?

Sunday morning and the clarity of a new day hits me with a pleasant wave of warmth....It is the result of a refreshingly quiet and healthy weekend. I'm off to Imma in an hour to view an exhibition i've being dying to see but have repeatedly put off due to nasty hangover's plaguing my weekends. However this morning I awake feeling fresh and ready for some contemporary art viewing culture (reviews in next blog). It's a feeling I could get used to, the weekend feels like it has lasted forever(and still a full day left!) and yesterday's early morning run in the rain was rewarded with a burst of sunshine for a few hours to remind me that it was summer. I took advantage of my fresh early start and drove out to see my aging Grandmother (she's 92). She's an incredible woman, bright as a button and a wicked sense of humour. We sat in the sun and watched the Williams sisters battle out the Wimbeldon final as my nan remarked that despite their femenine(ish) look and length(shortness) of their skirts, they play like men. I love the way old people can be so pass-remarkable, often being quite rude and absolutely get away with it. It's like they've earned it having lived this long.

So with my pleasant peace of mind, I've been hit with some unusual weekend of rumblings from my past playing a little with my emotions. Firstly, I discovered today that a boy from my time in Australia has just got married. Its a wierd one, we only dated for a month until i moved on to newer lands but we parted on great terms and i some way I always feel like he's the "one who got away". I think everyone has one of those... someone who if timing had been different, then so would have been the story. Anyway, long story short, I got a funny pang of "oh...that's that then". I haven't spoken or really even thought about him in 3 years... but that little nugget of info still effected me. Funny.

Then about an hour after that, I was musing through my CD collection and stumbled across a mix tape(CD) that an ex had made me. (still the best present I've ever got). I stuck it on and was hit with a wave of memories. Really good ones... it made me start to think why it hadn't worked out. I think it was a case of knowing it was just never gonna work out, so i ended it...but its a hard one to realise something is wrong when you kinda want it so much to be right. Altho I guess when it is right, you know 'cause it feels amazing when all those pieces fall into place...like a jigsaw safety blanket.

Anyway, enough of love, this clarity of mind is making me way too honest.... I have been enjoying lots of music this weekend. Music to run to, music to lounge to, music to laugh to. Here's my pick of the bunch

Quiet Village - I've mentioned them before in my very first post, but Gilles Peterson had them in for a mix session this week and it's too good not to mention.... and if anything it'll turn you onto Peterson show which is fantastic late night listening.

Cool Kids - They bring together different eras and styles of hip hop into one refreshingly new package.... they're also brilliant.

Morphine - Old school and sadly no longer together but the melodies and this guys voice makes me wish the hell they were... this song sums them up for me...

SantoGold - Upbeat, talented articulate lady... sounds like the morph of M.I.A and Karen O...

Enjoy

No comments: